Top 10 FAQs
- What is the Forge.mil Program?
- What is SoftwareForge?
- What is ProjectForge?
- Is there a Forge.mil site on SIPRNET?
- What is the difference between SoftwareForge and ProjectForge?
- What capabilities are available in the system?
- What are the guidelines for participating?
- How can I get access to Forge.mil (CAC users)?
- How can I get access to Forge.mil (ECA Certificate users)?
- I am unable to access SoftwareForge or ProjectForge, what troubleshooting steps can I take?
Forge.mil Acceptance of DoD-Approved External PKI
The Forge.mil team is working towards the acceptance of other PKI certificates with the same rules as vendor issued External Certificates (a DoD government sponsor who is registered with Forge.mil is required).
Large system integrators and organizations who issue certificates that are interoperable with DoD PKI, can be accepted once integrated and set up for acceptance within Forge.mil. For a complete map of approved external and federal PKI which are interoperable with DoD see the DoD PKI External Interoperability Landscape located on the Information Assurance Support Environment site.
Forge.mil is still limited to supporting DoD only. Any PKI credentials we accept MUST HAVE DOD SPONSORSHIP.
If using an external PKI certificate, you must have a DoD government sponsor who is registered in Forge in order to create an account on Forge.mil Community, SoftwareForge and ProjectForge. Government sponsors must register with their DoD CAC by following the Forge.mil Access Instructions for DoD CAC Users.
Current PKI certificates / PIV Cards accepted by Forge.mil
- DoD issued CACs
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Lockheed Martin
- Northrop Grumman
- External Certificate Authority (ECA) Certificates
purchased from approved vendors
- Operational Research Consultants, Inc. (ORC)
- Verisign, Inc.
- IdenTrust, Inc.
To register for a Forge.mil account using one of the accepted Federal Government Agency or Industry Partner listed above, see Forge.mil Access Instructions for DoD External PKI Users.
To purchase an ECA certificate or to register for a Forge.mil account using an ECA purchased from an approved vendor, see Forge.mil Access Instructions for ECA Certificate Users.
If you have questions about this capability or want to find out if your PKI credential can be added to those accepted by Forge.mil, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.